50 Mile Canoe Trip
August 3-9 2013
St. Croix River, Maine
We did a 6 day, 50-mile High Adventure trip with the older scouts in the troop. In addition to white water canoeing, we focused on Dutch Oven cooking for the entire trip.
- We canoed for 2 days on open water on Spednic Lake.
- We camped the first night on an island in the lake.
- We made some amazing meals in the Dutch Ovens: Breakfast Burritos,Chicken Pot Pie, Jambalaya, Peach Cobbler and some fantastic Pizza.
- Several scouts did some fishing and were catching small mouth bass.
- We portaged around the dam at Vanceboro with no issues.
- We experienced most types of weather including some beautiful sunny days and some rainy days with intermittent thunderstorms.
- We experienced white water canoeing with Class I and II rapids with several of them proving pretty challenging.
- The campsites along the river were GREAT and very comfortable.